Tuesday, 16 December 2008

When Äiti was little..

...her favourite set of books were the 'Little House' books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She loved these books so much that she pretended she was really called Hannah Sarah Laura X! Seeing as I am enjoying listening to books like 'My Naughty Little Sister' and books by Dick King Smith, Äiti thought I might like 'Little House in the Big Woods'. We finally found a copy in Borders yesterday. I read the first chapter in my head in the car and then I read some of it to Äiti, she looked happy. Here I am reading the first page (translation of the page underneath). I find these books easier to read in my head than out aloud.

I wanted to do some maths yesterday so I asked Äiti to write me some sums. She couldn't keep up with me working out the answers so quickly so gave me some hard sums like- 3+3= x+y and 2x2+X=5 and xy=21. As I was racing through the answers I decided to say the numbers and the colours of the magnets in French e.g Numero cinq in rouge!

We went for a nice walk yesterday in the cold, I collected lots of leaves, berries, twigs and stones. I came home and made a 'Christmas Bush'!

2 comments:

mick said...

I used to pretend to be Mary all the time...Laura was a bit too wild for my taste! The Little House books are wonderful; it's great to imagine what things were like in that time.

Lorraine said...

We had so much fun reading those together as well....just watch out for the books further on which require a lot of parental explanation! Wonderful reading, Sophie!

Amelia also explains how much she prefers to read in her head since she's "just used to it by now."