Our life in Finland is coming to an end. Tonight is the last night we will spend in our house, tomorrow we will move into a hotel whilst the removal men pack up our house. On Thursday we fly out of Finland on a one way ticket. We'll spend a few days in the UK with Granny Val whilst we wait for our furniture to arrive at mummy and daddy's old house.
I was born in Finland just over 2 years ago. Since my birth day I have done rather a lot. I have experienced temperatures ranging from -28.5 degs to +28.5 degs. I have been to several summer cottages (some with electricity and running water, some without either). I have been on many boats, been to many islands, visited many towns and done lots of sight seeing. I have eaten deer, elk, wild boar and fresh fish caught in the sea. I have eaten and drunk in many wonderful bars, cafes and restaurants. I have slept outside in temperatures of minus 10. I have built numerous snowcats and snow daddys. I have picked my own Christmas tree in a forest and watched daddy cut it down. I have had many saunas, swam in the sea, lakes and swimming pools. I have looked for bears in the forest and camped in a tent in the snow. I have been bitten by numerous bear sized mosquitos. I have watched the World Athletics Championships in the Olympic Stadium and been to a rock festival. I have also learnt a bit of Finnish and still call my mummy, Äiti! I have made many good friends, both Finnish and International. I have become quite well known with the 'oh, so you are Sophie' remarks!
I have also travelled outside of Finland and have visited 13 different countries, including many trips to Tallinn in Estonia.
We never made it up to the Arctic Circle though to visit Father Christmas, but that will be a trip to do in a few years time.
I will miss Finland a lot, we love the fact we can travel free on the bus, trains and trams. We love the quietness, the countryside, our forest, the lack of people and traffic, the 'no-sunday' opening hours, the snow, the sun and the laid back relaxed lifestyle.
So Kiitos Suomi, it has been a fantastic experience with no regrets at all. A great country to visit and to spend my first 2 years. Nakemiin!
2 comments:
Sigh... you sound so sad to leave, and make Finland sound like such a lovely place to be in. I've never been there, but reading your post evoked a lovely picture filled with precious memories, thanks for sharing. Here's to your new life in England Sophie - may it be filled with joy, laughter, excitement and fulfilment... in short all the best things in life! We're missing you on the board, hope to see you back online soon!
Minni & Bethany
Goodbye Finland! I can't wait to hear about your amazing adventures- outside, inside, and thanks to that brilliant mind of yours - in the UK!
Post a Comment