Sunday, 17 June 2007

My Great Grandmother

Last week Äiti and I flew to the UK as my Great Granny had recently died.

I found out quite a bit about my Aiti's äiti's aiti. She was a very intelligent woman, her IQ was well over 160, she could work out big sums in her head, she could do The Times (UK) cryptic crossword everyday in under 15 minutes, she was a walking encyclopedia that could tell you information about anything. Her party trick was to write German and French at the same time with both hands! She was also a jigsaw lover. She had taught herself to read when she was little but at the age of 13 had to leave school and go to work so never realised her potential. My Granny also taught herself to read at the age of 3 when she was in hospital with polio. I seem to be following in their footsteps.

After the funeral we had a small party where I stripped naked- I was quite relaxed!

It was a busy, hectic trip which saw both Äiti and I being very tired. We flew home on Friday, but our flight out of London was late so we missed our connecting flight in Amsterdam. KLM (our airline) put us up in a posh hotel, provided dinner, drinks and breakfast and some toiletries. Äiti and I had a long bath, ate posh food, ordered from the bar (I had apple juice in a bottle with a straw) and watched Dutch TV! The next morning before our flight home we met Opa (Äiti's daddy) and Saskia for a quick coffee as they live in Amsterdam, it was great to see them both. We finally got home on Saturday afternoon.

No comments: